Transporting a bicycle securely in a car can be difficult, especially if you have never done it before. But if you are using a minivan, then half of your problem is already solved. Minivans are spacious, and carrying large items like bicycles is super easy.
Here are three ways in which you can secure your bicycle inside your minivan:
- Use an interior bike rack.
- Use bungee ropes or cables.
- Use an adjustable cross bar adapter.
This article will help you understand how you can safely transport your bicycle inside your minivan. You should also check out the options for the interior bike racks, ropes, cables and adapter mentioned here.
1. Use an Interior Bike Rack
If you want to carry your bicycle on a road trip, you should consider using a bike rack inside your minivan. These racks are handy devices that do the job without any complications.
Here are some benefits of using an interior bike rack:
- Your bicycle is secure. The number one benefit of using an interior bike rack is the security of your bicycles with little to no movement.
- It keeps your car organized. You don’t want your bike(s) to take up all the space in your vehicle. An interior bike rack is compact and restricts your bicycle(s) to one side, thus keeping your minivan organized.
- It protects your bicycle. Unless you are in an accident, your bike will be safe from any unintentional damage.
- Easy to install and remove. Interior bike racks are uncomplicated. They are either fixed to the floor of your minivan or have an anti-slip base.
- They are inexpensive. Interior bike racks are highly affordable. You can also build one using a piece of wood or alloy, as shown in this YouTube DIY video:
Since you are looking for a bike rack that will allow you to secure your bicycle inside your minivan, this article focuses on some great options for interior bike racks available on Amazon.com.
The Saris Traps Triple Track Bike Rack is one of the best in the business. It has a dimension of 50 x 2.75 x 1 inches (127 x 7 x 2.5 centimeters) and weighs about 3.8 pounds (1.7 kilograms).
Here are some of its features:
- Holds up to two bicycles
- Simple design that easily attaches to the floor
- For passenger car, SUV, or truck
- Can be used on walls too
- Easy-to-adjust ratcheting hold downs
- Includes mounting hardware for traps
The BEYST bike block fork mount has dimensions of 12.6 x 3.94 x 3.15 inches (32 x 10 x 8 centimeters) and weighs approximately 6.94 pounds (0.01 kilograms). It is made from aluminum and can support one bicycle.
Some of its features are as follows:
- Rigid body that’s resistant to pressures
- Easy to install and remove
- Can also be used on the wall
- Quick-release forklifts are easy to operate.
The MBP Quick Release Fork Mount Bike Block weighs only 0.6 pounds (0.27 kilograms) and has dimensions of 8.62 x 5.79 x 1.57 inches (22 x 14.7 x 4 centimeters). It is made entirely from alloy.
Some of its features include:
- Can be used on van, truck, bicycle, and trailer
- Easy to use
- Includes the quick-release skewer that makes it easy to access the bicycle
The EVO Bike Fork Mount measures 6.1 x 5.7 x 1.5 inches (15.5 x 14.5 x 3.8 centimeters) and weighs only 0.55 pounds (0.25 kilograms). This alloy bike rack is one of the cheapest options on the market.
Some of its features include:
- Can mount on any surface, including walls
- Lightweight yet sturdy
- Compact and easy to use
- Space saver
- Includes the quick-release skewer
2. Use Bungee Ropes or Cables
You can also transport your bicycle without a bike rack. Simply put the bike inside the minivan and secure it tightly with either a bungee rope or a cable. If you are keeping it facing down, then the gears can get damaged. So, you should always keep the gears facing up.
You should also use towels or any soft cloth. It will not only keep your minivan from getting dirty but also protect your bicycle as well.
While there are plenty of options available in the market, here are some options for ropes available on Amazon.com that you might consider:
The AUGO Ratchet Tie Down Straps are an all-rounder when it comes to cargo straps. The 15 feet (457.2 centimeters) straps are incredibly durable and have a 1,500 break strength. The pack comes with four straps and two extra bungee cords for additional support.
The Vascar Cable Lock is a 15-foot (457.2-centimeter) security cord that will secure your bike inside your minivan. It is made from steel with a vinyl coating and has a highly convenient locking mechanism.
The SGT KNOTS Diamond Grip Elastic Bungee Cord is an excellent option if you are looking for something simple and inexpensive. One hundred feet (3048 centimeters) is more than enough to keep your bike secure and safe from any damage.
The Keeper 06117 Ultra 32” Camouflage Flat Bungee Cord is strong, durable, and effective. It has hooks on either end that makes it easy to use. Since the ropes are flat, it puts less pressure on your bike while keeping it secure.
3. Adjustable Cross Bar Adapter
The final way to transport your bicycle in a minivan is to use a bar adapter. I’ve used a bike rack and bungees in the past but settled on the bar adapter. The bar adapter I use is the CyclingDeal adjustable cross bar adapter. Even though both ends of the adapter is rubber, I do use a top tube protector for extra protection. Here are a few pictures of my bike secured in my van.
Here are a few features:
- You can transport bike without removing tires.
- Like the bungees and cables, the bar adapter is small enough that it can be tucked away in the van when not in use.
- Mount straps with rubber prevents bike frame from getting scratched.
An interior bike rack is handy when it comes to securing your bicycle for long trips in your minivan. It is compact, inexpensive, super easy to use and keeps your bike safe and your minivan organized.
If you are not a big fan of the interior rack or bungee ropes and cables, I highly recommend trying the adjustable cross bar adapter. It will keep your bike secure inside your minivan. You can ensure a safe trip with one less thing to worry about.
Article you may be interested in: